Select your timezone: Select

Most popular sport to bet on?

Reply Subscribe
Hi
Over in the UK here we generally find that football is the sport which attracts most of the serious betting money. What is the favourite sport in the US that attracts most betting?
Join: 2007/02/11 Messages: 118
Wayne68 wrote:

Hi
Over in the UK here we generally find that football is the sport which attracts most of the serious betting money. What is the favourite sport in the US that attracts most betting?

Im not an american but I would guess that's NFL. With baseball and NBA as runner ups. But what do I know 😁
Join: 2006/12/08 Messages: 206
DraX wrote:

Im not an american but I would guess that's NFL. With baseball and NBA as runner ups. But what do I know 😁

Well I did think about the NFL but like yourself I am not American so had a sneeking suspicion that perhaps baseball or Hockey may be pretty high up there? NFL does look the best bet though!
Wayne68 wrote:

Well I did think about the NFL but like yourself I am not American so had a sneeking suspicion that perhaps baseball or Hockey may be pretty high up there? NFL does look the best bet though!

There are so many games in the US that are gambled on. Just to name a few: football, basketball, horse racing, greyhound racing...
Join: 2007/02/12 Messages: 28
GamblingAce wrote:

There are so many games in the US that are gambled on. Just to name a few: football, basketball, horse racing, greyhound racing...

In India, legitimised betting is done on horse racing, but there is a lot of illegal betting on cricket matches.
There is a large underground system of betting on these matches and large sums of money are involved in this.
Join: 2007/02/10 Messages: 38
milly wrote:

In India, legitimised betting is done on horse racing, but there is a lot of illegal betting on cricket matches.
There is a large underground system of betting on these matches and large sums of money are involved in this.

Wonder how Ice Hockey ransk amongst the sports mentioned? Certainly doesn't seem to have much popularity toa world wide audience like the other sports do but perhaps to those who concentrate on purely the betting side of things it is another important activity to monitor.
Wayne68 wrote:

Wonder how Ice Hockey ransk amongst the sports mentioned? Certainly doesn't seem to have much popularity toa world wide audience like the other sports do but perhaps to those who concentrate on purely the betting side of things it is another important activity to monitor.

I think a lot depends onwhere the game is played. Ice hockey is played in a lot of countries where betting is a form of life. So there is a lot of betting going on there on it.
Cricket betting is an enormous underground gambling system here in India.
milly wrote:

I think a lot depends onwhere the game is played. Ice hockey is played in a lot of countries where betting is a form of life. So there is a lot of betting going on there on it.
Cricket betting is an enormous underground gambling system here in India.

I would say that the NFL probably takes the most cash in bets in the US. In England Football of course. Although there are always the one off events such as the Grand National where it seems like everyone in the UK needs to have a bet
Join: 2007/03/11 Messages: 32
Cain wrote:

I would say that the NFL probably takes the most cash in bets in the US. In England Football of course. Although there are always the one off events such as the Grand National where it seems like everyone in the UK needs to have a bet

By far the biggest once a year betting event in the UK is the horse racing Grand National. The oldest steeple chase in the world has a massive worldwide audience, and carries great esteem.

Fairytails do come true!
Join: 2007/02/09 Messages: 25
Roll It wrote:

By far the biggest once a year betting event in the UK is the horse racing Grand National. The oldest steeple chase in the world has a massive worldwide audience, and carries great esteem.

Fairytails do come true!

There is a lot of betting in India also on horse racing. We also have our Derby and other popular races. The main centres are Mumbai, Pune and Kolkatta. There is some in Delhi, but not too much.
So it seems horse racing betting is a world wide phenomenon.
milly wrote:

There is a lot of betting in India also on horse racing. We also have our Derby and other popular races. The main centres are Mumbai, Pune and Kolkatta. There is some in Delhi, but not too much.
So it seems horse racing betting is a world wide phenomenon.

I am not big on gambling, but I do like a flutter on the Grand National. The Derby, Cheltenham Gold Cup and Royal Ascot are also popular meetings for betting.

In the UK, you can walk into a bookmakers and they will pretty much give you odds on anything - sport, elections, no.1 in the music charts, next Royal wedding ....
Join: 2007/02/09 Messages: 1
Maya wrote:

I am not big on gambling, but I do like a flutter on the Grand National. The Derby, Cheltenham Gold Cup and Royal Ascot are also popular meetings for betting.

In the UK, you can walk into a bookmakers and they will pretty much give you odds on anything - sport, elections, no.1 in the music charts, next Royal wedding ....

The Grand National I think is probably the most bet on event by non-regular gamblers (If there is such a thing). I find it quite amusing some of the bets open to punters in betting shops.
The amount of celebrity wedding predicitons you can choose is amazing, but people must bet on them otherwise these kind of odds wouldn't be on offer.
Wayne68 wrote:

The Grand National I think is probably the most bet on event by non-regular gamblers (If there is such a thing). I find it quite amusing some of the bets open to punters in betting shops.
The amount of celebrity wedding predicitons you can choose is amazing, but people must bet on them otherwise these kind of odds wouldn't be on offer.

Horse racing of any kind does seem to get the attention of those who generally only bet once or twice a year. I would say the derby is probably as popular as the Grand National now?
Join: 2007/03/11 Messages: 32
Cain wrote:

Horse racing of any kind does seem to get the attention of those who generally only bet once or twice a year. I would say the derby is probably as popular as the Grand National now?

Football and horse racing for sure are the most popular sports to bet on in the UK. In th U.S I would say it would have to be the NFL. Around the world probably the Lottery in all its forms.
Join: 2007/03/22 Messages: 14