Select your timezone:
Select

Regulate rather than ban Internet gambling

Subscribe
The European Union wants compensation from the United States for money its companies have lost because of the United States ban on Internet gambling. Supporters of legalized Internet gambling think the move, announced Tuesday, will increase pressure on lawmakers to regulate, rather than ban, Internet gambling. The European Union is the latest in a handful of foreign governing bodies that have called the U.S. ban illegal and are demanding compensation.

Read more: United States must pay billions in trade compensation

:dirol
Join: 2006/12/07 Messages: 29893
Manne wrote: The European Union wants compensation from the United States for money its companies have lost because of the United States ban on Internet gambling. Supporters of legalized Internet gambling think the move, announced Tuesday, will increase pressure on lawmakers to regulate, rather than ban, Internet gambling. The European Union is the latest in a handful of foreign governing bodies that have called the U.S. ban illegal and are demanding compensation.

I agree the US ban on Internet gambling is poorly thought out. I think it is going to fall apart on them, and cause them as many problems as prohibition did.
Join: 2007/06/04 Messages: 85
Manne wrote: The European Union wants compensation from the United States for money its companies have lost because of the United States ban on Internet gambling. Supporters of legalized Internet gambling think the move, announced Tuesday, will increase pressure on lawmakers to regulate, rather than ban, Internet gambling. The European Union is the latest in a handful of foreign governing bodies that have called the U.S. ban illegal and are demanding compensation.

NOW seven compensation claims have been filed against the U.S. in its ongoing WTO case with Antigua and Barbuda.

EU, India, Costa Rica, Canada, Macau and Australia were made last week in response to America's decision to exclude online gambling from its General Agreement of Trade in Services Agreement (GATS) schedule.

(Japan has also lodged a letter of interest in the case, but has not asked for compensation).

Join: 2006/12/07 Messages: 29893
Manne wrote: NOW seven compensation claims have been filed against the U.S. in its ongoing WTO case with Antigua and Barbuda.

EU, India, Costa Rica, Canada, Macau and Australia were made last week in response to America's decision to exclude online gambling from its General Agreement of Trade in Services Agreement (GATS) schedule.

(Japan has also lodged a letter of interest in the case, but has not asked for compensation).

It seems to me pointless to ban internet gambling, there is just no way that they can stop it, so it's a waste of time, money and energy. On the internet people will find away around the law and many are doing just that.
Join: 2007/06/13 Messages: 21
Fizz wrote: It seems to me pointless to ban internet gambling, there is just no way that they can stop it, so it's a waste of time, money and energy. On the internet people will find away around the law and many are doing just that.
You cant really say they cant stop it because they can but its just going to be hard thats all.
Hotwriter wrote: You cant really say they cant stop it because they can but its just going to be hard thats all.
I think that a ban on internet gambling would be completely ridiculous. I think that it's only going to cause problems, and will not be a solution the the initial "problem".
Join: 2007/06/28 Messages: 8
Jewel wrote: I think that a ban on internet gambling would be completely ridiculous. I think that it's only going to cause problems, and will not be a solution the the initial "problem".
I think Hotwriter has a point mentioning Prohibition. It's the same reason that cigarrettes are not banned, If they ban Internet Gambling, Underground sites will crop up, and more people with get scammed. So it is a really bad idea.
Join: 2007/06/08 Messages: 96
cassy wrote: I think Hotwriter has a point mentioning Prohibition. It's the same reason that cigarrettes are not banned, If they ban Internet Gambling, Underground sites will crop up, and more people with get scammed. So it is a really bad idea.
That's right, Cassy. It almost always works that way.
Hotwriter wrote: That's right, Cassy. It almost always works that way.
Thanks. I just think they're just spinning their wheels.
Join: 2007/06/08 Messages: 96